Restoring 3B2/300

Michael Batchelor 3b2 at mikebat.UUCP
Tue Jan 9 06:45:52 AEST 1990

Ok everybody, I've got a very ambitious "project" I want to try.
A friend of mine was cleaning the junk out of his shop and gave
me the carcass of a 3b2/300. (Oh no. They're laughing already.)
Anyway, I have decided to get this thing working. (All right.
Stop laughing at me or I'll cry.)

Well, the guy I got it from is in the clone business and can't
even remember where he got it, so he's not going to be much help.
This, then, is my call for help from the net.

What I need are some friendly souls willing to get involved in a
long restoration project via email.

What I want to get from this effort is exposure to a new bus,
a better understanding of the nuts and bolts of computers, and
a working 3b2. I am more than willing to start out with help from people
who are aware they may not be able to see the project through.
I'm also willing to send regular email updates to interested
people. I don't want to waste a lot of network bandwidth on
the nuts and bolts of this, so I would like to establish email
contacts with anyone willing to help.

Please, even if you don't have much time to help me, consider that
I don't have much time either, so this will end up low priority
for both of us. If you are knowledgeable about 3b2's, I encourage
you to help.

I see this project as similar to the Hackintosh project in the
Computer Shopper. I have a few boards, half a case and an old
power supply. I can probably put everything in a regular clone case.

I hope to get most of what I need by scrounging. I can't afford to
spend a lot of money on something which doesn't contribute toward
feeding my family. This means people may see perodic postings offering
to help you get rid of junk parts from your back room.

For those of you thinking about helping,here is what I am starting out
with:

1 lower half of a case, with power supply (working?), with a sticker
	saying model 3B2/300, code ED-4C492-30 GIA, Serial I002364 OC.

1 mother board mounted in the case bottom with the following numbers
	in the photomask:
	845228766  AM 1  ED4C637 - 30 - G - 11 - R  SER 1?6
	and a painted numeral 1  here--->^

1 mother board loose with the numbers:
	844291914  AM 6  CM190A   WE-11-R   SER 29

4 memory cards with the munbers:
	844292508  AM 1R191A  WE-11-R

1 Floppy disk drive. Probably OK.

The two mother boards appear to be different revisions of the same thing.
The main difference is in the LSI stuff in the corner towards the
left front of the case.

There you have it. This is all the parts I've got so far. If you're
willing to lend a hand send me email at uunet!wshb!mikebat!3b2
If you must post rather than email, be aware that I don't get
comp.sys.att unless it's cross posted to unix-pc.general.
Email is really the best way.

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Batchelor   uunet!wshb!mikebat!3b2