How does the death star "working" logo on the UNIXPC work?

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Wed Jan 3 01:34:17 AEST 1990

>From article <591 at limbic.UUCP>, by gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.):
> In article <219 at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur at venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>>I am curious to know what system calls, etc.  are used to implement the
>>AT&T death star "working ..." logo that appears on the UNIXPC.

> The death-star "Working" icon is produced by the window driver, and is
> on the screen whenever the "current" window (ie. the window attached to the
> keyboard) is not blocking for input.

And yes, you can change it.  It is *fairly* easy.  You need a program
like 'FATBIT' or Iconoclast to create the bit map you want, and then
adb to write the bit map into the window driver.  This has been discussed
before, but if anyone is interested, I'll dig out the gory details.

--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}