IP over starlan?

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Sat Jul 14 03:54:22 AEST 1990

In article <1042 at rossignol.Princeton.EDU> tr at samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>Not familiar with Starlan.  Want to know if you can talk IP (as in
>TCP/IP) over it while regular Starlan messages are going over it.  Will
>this interfere or what?  My question is based on the fact that you can
>run IP, Decnet, and Chaosnet over ethernet hardware.

Starlan10 is full IEEE 802.3/10baseT Draft10 (ie: It's 10mb 802.3/Ethernet
over Twisted Pair wire), and, in fact will interoperate with any other vendor's
product that conforms to the 10baseT Draft 7 or later.

Also, Starlan is HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE. Ther are two flavors of Starlan.
Starlan1 is 1mb 802.3/Ethernet over twisted pair and conforms to IEEE 802.3
1base5 (1 mb baseband, 500 meters) and Starlan10 which is 10baseT (10mb,
baseband, twisted pair).

AT&T's PC NOS is called StarGROUP, it is Lan Manager ported to Unix
(Lan Manager/X), same protocols as 3Com 3+ Open, UB Lan Manager, HP Lan
Manager/X etc.

Consequently, Starlan can transport any protocol that can travel over
ethernet (ie: TCP-IP, DECnet, XNS, Lan Manager, Vines, etc, etc).

AT&T also manufactures PC interface cards w/ Twisted Pair connections on
the card (the 10baseT MAU is built on the card) called PC NAU (Network
Access Units). TCP-IP raw drivers exist for FTP, Woolongong and Beame &
Whiteside TCP-IPs. Both the Clarkson Packet Driver and an NDIS driver
exist for the cards allowing the Public Domain TCP-IPs from NCSA and KA9Q
to run on top of the cards. The use of the packet drivers and NDIS drivers
also allow multiple protocol stacks to run simultanously (ie: TCP-IP-Lan
Manager, TCP-IP-Netware, TCP-IP-Lan Manager-LAT, Lan Manager-Novell to name
just a few possible combinations).

So, to summarize. Starlan is NOT a propriatory protocol, it is based on
open standards. It supports the complete range of ethernet protocols and
AT&T offers a wide range of drivers for their cards (Novell, Vines, Lan Manager,
TCP-IP, LAT, PCSA, Clarkson Packet Driver and NDIS driver).

And yes, you can talk StsrGROUP (Lan Manager) and TCP-IP simultanously (FTP
TCP-IP, Generic Ethernet Version, StarGROUP LM/X V3.3 and NDIS driver).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden