3B1's wsdb (windowing sdb); does it function?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 21:36:53 AEST 1990

thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>Any attempt to use it by me on either the 3B1's console or a remote terminal
>causes the message (paraphrased) "Cannot open wn, 2" to display.

>Doing a "strings" on wsdb produces (among other things):

>	/dev/window
>	/dev/w%s
>	Cannot open wn, %d

>And, yes, /dev does has w0, w1, w2, ... , w12, window, console, ...

My understanding is that an open of /dev/w? will *always* fail if that
window is not in use.  If you're not using /dev/w2, try

echo hello >/dev/w2

from the shell.  I betcha it won't work.  You have to open /dev/window, then
the window manager *hands you* the window number.  The fact that "/dev/window"
shows up in your strings listing makes me think the author of wsdb *had* to
have understood this.  Maybe it's getting the wrong idea of which window the
window manager handed it.

I guess this doesn't help you much ...
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \