3B2-310 disk drive questions

Ronald K. Wright rwright at novavax.UUCP
Sat Jul 14 21:18:35 AEST 1990

I just received two 3B2's on loan.  They (or at least one) is a 2
megabyte with a 30 megabyte hard drive.

In bringing up one it fails the diagnostic.  Swapping the hard drive
out to the working machine makes the diagnostic fail.

Thus, I appear to have a dead/sick drive.

Now the question...what is this drive?  It says Western Electric.
Can something more generally available be replaced?

My experience with ATT repair is that their rates are designed to make
the warranty costs look inexpensive.

Oh one other question now that I have your attention, how do you boot
this thing from floppy?  I cannot find that in my set of the fm's.
Perhaps I do not have them all.
--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: uunet!medex2!medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright