3B2-310 disk drive questions

UPL stuff dart at cat33.cs.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 18 05:14:48 AEST 1990

In article <1953 at novavax.UUCP> rwright at novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) writes:
		[ Description of various hardware failures ]

>Oh one other question now that I have your attention, how do you boot
>this thing from floppy?  I cannot find that in my set of the fm's.
>Perhaps I do not have them all.
>--
>R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: uunet!medex2!medexam!rkw
>Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright
>Associate Professor Pathology          | home:   uunet!medex2!love1!rkw
>University of Miami School of Medicine | fax:    305 765 5193

	Could someone please post an answer to this seemingly easy question.
We have here a couple of sick 3b2/310s.  Evidently, /etc/getty got trashed.
The system boots normally, but init complains "/etc/getty respawning too
rapidly ...".  Evidently, all that needs to be done is install a sane
/etc/getty and/or  /etc/gettydefs.  But how does one do this?  We
have the original core pack disks, which are presumably bootable.  The
fine manual describes how to boot the system from firmware mode.
However, it does not describe how to get into firmware mode from a dead
start.  I've tried typing the firmware password at all possible times,
including after pressing the reset button in back, but no response.  I
have disconnected the battery to make sure that no-one changed the firmware
password while I wasn't looking.

Greg Thain
dart at garfield.cs.wisc.edu
{backbone}!uwvax!garfield!dart