EPORTS & TB+

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.UUCP
Mon Jul 30 13:25:24 AEST 1990

In article <3613 at sactoh0.UUCP> eric at sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) writes:
> [re: EPORTS version] I currently have version 1.2 and was told that 1.3
> may work better. ( Now to try to find a copy! )

Call AT&T.

> One of the troubles seems to be that in release 1.2 of the
> EPORTS driver, AT&T supplies a new getty for HFC. However,
> there is no uugetty inclosed. Hopefully it is in 1.3. Also
> is the hope that there is a HFC variable that can be set in
> the gettydefs line to set hfc.

I didn't even notice a different getty.  There's definitely no new
uugetty though.

There won't be an HFC for gettydefs either.  In their wisdom, AT&T
put the EPORTS control under a totally different interface (i.e.
different struct's and ioctl() commands).  It is impossible to even
hack the right bit into a binary of getty (or uugetty).  You can't
even set HFC with an stty, rather you have to use epstty.  It was a
really brain-dead, stupid thing to do, especially after almost every
other vendor had used (usually the same) un-used bits in a termio flag
to do the same.

> Several people suggested hacks that could be made to the
> source code, but I neither have source nor am a programmer.

Don't let that stop you!  :-)

If I had a Telebit, I might bother to hack one of the PD uugetty's to
work properly with EPORTS....

> (P.S. Want'a buy a 300 w/ XM package? )

I am looking for a really cheap XM with only a power supply....
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA