TCP/IP with 3B2-400

stephen.a.rago sar0 at cbnewsl.att.com
Sat Jul 21 02:41:12 AEST 1990

In article <90199.164501SHANLEY at MAINE.BITNET>, SHANLEY at MAINE.BITNET writes:
> Equipment:  AT&T 3B2-400
>             Unix V 3.1
>             Wollongong TCP/IP WIN*/3B Interface Rel 3.0.1
> Problem:    Can telnet out of the machine but can't telnet in.
>             ie.  telnet me and telnet umofm.umeofm.maine.edu
>                  and telnet 127.0.01.1 doesn't work.
>             ftp and ping are fine and telnet out of umofm is fine.
> My senerio:  It seems that the telnetd daemon/server is not getting
>              started.  I have played with the nlsadmin command with
>              the following results:
>              nlsadmin -x          tcp INACTIVE
>              nlsadmin -i          net_spec already initialized
>              nlsadmin -s tcp      addresses not initialized for tcp
>  When the network software is started I get the following message:
>   nlsadmin:  Addresses not initialized for tcpip

First, check to see that the Wollongong stuff uses the listener.
cd to /usr/net/nls/tcp and check the database file ("dbf") for any
entries that might imply the telnet daemon is started from the listener.
If not, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Otherwise, you need to set
the address that the listener will use to wait to incoming connection
requests.  This is done with:
	nlsadmin -l <addr1> -t <addr2> tcp
where <addr1> is the address of the general network service and <addr2>
is the address used for remote login services.  The address format is
determined by the interface exported by TCP.  You need to check what
it is (usually some form of sockaddr_in).  Then pick an unused port
number and encode the address in ascii hex.  For example, assume your
internet address was 192.11.102.8 and you chose port number 2000,
your address might look something like \xc00b660807d00000, depending
on what the address structure is used by their TCP implementation.

If this doesn't help, check in /etc/rc2.d to see to there is a startup
script for the TCP/IP network.  If there is, you can cat the script and
tell what it is doing to start things up.  If you're in single-user mode,
you can see what is happening when the script runs by typing:
	sh -x <script_name> start

I played with earlier versions of the Wollongong product, while it was
under development.  I don't know if they've changed any of their admin
stuff since then.  Hope this helps.

Steve Rago
sar at attunix.att.com