OBM Auto-answer disabling (SUMMARY+MORE Q's)

Chris Rende car at trux.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 23:57:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul01.113820.18646 at uhura.neoucom.EDU>, wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> Much of the software that uses OBM calls the programs
> /usr/bin/geton.sh and /usr/bin/getoff.sh.  As you might guess, the
> first is a shell program that calls /usr/bin/setgetty to enable a
> getty, while the latter diables the getty.  Setgetty edits the
> /etc/inittab file (A real no-no in my book!) and and calls init to
> mark re-read the inittab.

[set new_to_3b1 on]

I found that phtoggle, geton.sh, etc... where only changing the first
character of the /etc/inittab line that contains ph0 from a ' ' to a ':'
or back again. (In addition to creating/removing /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph0).

Unfortunately, this only had a temporary effect - after a UUCP conversation
I found the /etc/inittab back the way it was and a getty on the line again.

What finally worked was changing the 'respawn' to 'off' in the /etc/inittab
(like a normal Unix). I still have to do phtoggle's in order to control
/usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph0 - but at least there is no getty - which keeps
the OBM from answering the phone.

Does the OBM understand Hayes commands? The Hayes command "ATS0=0" would
tell a Hayes compatible modem not to ever answer the phone.

> As far as surviving a call-wainting tone blitz, the solution is
> central-office dependent.  In some areas, dialing *70 and *71 can
> be used to control call waiting.

My call-waiting disable sequence also has a '*' in it. However, will the
'*' be properly recognized by the routines which generate the dialing tones?
I.e,: will '*70,15551212' as a dialing sequence work? (This is a valid
Hayes compatible sequence).

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek