AT&T 6386 WGS / 16mhz / 1mb Config. Problem

Dinesh Dhamija dhamija at oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
Mon Jul 2 03:57:30 AEST 1990

This is my first posting on news, so forgive any obvious mistakes in protocol.

I just received my (eagerly awaited) upgrade to Windows 3.0 and I installed it
on my EVEREX 1800A 286 10 MHz computer with a 40 Mg ST251 seagate drive, 2 Mg
of memory, configured as 1280 K extended and 128K expanded (besides 640K con)
, VEGA VGA graphics card from Video 7, NEC MS/II monitor.
I understand that windows should run in standard mode on the above configuration
(oops, I have an AMI (American Megatrends BIOS, dated 03/09/87). Every time I
type win (or win /r), I get microsoft's logo and then it's back to the DOS
prompt. I tried disabling my nightmarish CONFIG.SYS, tried MS-DOS 3.3, IBM
DOS 3.3, and my regular COMPAQ DOS 3.2 with no difference. It only runs in

real mode. (OOps, The previous paranthesis should say win /s, not win /r,
please bear with me, I am not a "vi" kind of guy). I have tried including
the stacks 9,192 command in my CONFIG.SYS, I have modified my SYSTEM.INI
to include PadHeapContents=1, or something like that in the [standard] section
as microsoft recommends, NOTHING WORKS!

Can anyone help? I shall admit to my Hall of Computer Guru's Fame, anyone
with an answer to my problem. Thanks.

You may also reach me at the following E-MAIL addresses, besides this one
DINESH at CUBIX.ENT.OHIOU.EDU
DHAMIJA at OUACCVMB.BITNET