vertically-mounted floppies

Bob Haar CS50 rhaar at rcsac1.uucp
Tue May 29 22:36:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990May28.010513.3392 at hybrid.UUCP> mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) writes:

>For those of you that were at the 3b1 BOF at the last usenix, you probably
>saw the case I designed for my 3b1.  In my case, I mounted the drives (a 5.25"
>and 3.5") vertically in it.

How about posting a description of this new case? I, for one, would be
interested in re-packaging my 7300 and would like to discuss some
of the options.

I am planning to build some custom furniture for my study to include
my UNIX-pc and printer. I would like to get the main body of the
UNIX-pc off the desk top.

Some questions:

1) Can the monitor be removed from the case and run via some extension
cable/ Any noise problems with this? Alternatively, can the video
output be run to a composite video monitor?

2) Does anyone know how to get an extension cable for the keyboard other
than splicing in some wires?

3) are there any problems with moving the floppy drive to a seperate
box?

4) If I do move the floppy drive out, can I put a second hard drive
in its place? (assuming the second drive mod and a 3b1 power supply)

5) Might there be any temperature problems with putting the 7300 into
an enclosed cabinet ?

--
	Bob Haar   CSNET: HAAR at GMR.COM  UUCP: uunet!edsews!rphroy!rcsac1!rhaar
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories