RFS on the unix-pc

Andy S Poling andy at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Tue May 29 14:21:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990May9.194429.428 at cjsa.wa.com> jeff at cjsa.wa.com (Jeffery Small) writes:

>I have a 3B1 (with the ethernet card & WIN/3B tcp/ip software) connected
>to a Sun 3/60.  In the latest release of SunOS 4.1, there is now support
>for the RFS filesystem.   It would be very nice to get RFS running on the
>3B1.  Does anyone know if this was ever accomplished within AT&T and if
>so, would there be any possibility of making this capability available to
>the world at large?

As far as I know AT&T only started offering RFS *after* they had streams on
everything (except the UNIXpc of course).  Since we ain't got them streams
I'd say we're SOL as far as RFS goes.

On the other hand, if we did have streams my 3b1 would probably thrash worse
than my 3b2/310 with streams does whenever you actually try to transfer
*data* using TCP/IP.  The streams... they are hungry.  Look at the bright
side: you've got decent sockets and some memory left over.

Can you say "Streams and RFS kills?"  I thought you could.

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy at gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY at JHUNIX
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!andy