getty problems

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun May 6 18:50:44 AEST 1990

{Re: getty problems}
{unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.wizards}

rlw at ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) in <2535 at ttardis.UUCP> writes about problems
with the stock 3B1 getty and the same problems with a 3B5 getty ported
over regarding recognition of BREAK to switch interface speeds (presumably
per his /etc/gettydefs).

He stated neither which version of the 3B1's OS, nor on which tty port the
problem occurs; this IS important missing info, because all versions of the
3B1 OS up to and including 3.51 have such a problem with BREAK on tty000 (the
built-in serial port) ... the problem ONLY occurs on tty000; using tty001 up
to tty006 works fine (with the expansion COMBO board software).

I reported this problem ages ago when I discovered it on a machine I was
going to use for a demo (my "normal" machine has multiple serial ports), and
the fix appears in the 3.51a kernel on "AT&T FIX 1014; 3.51 FIX DISK VER 1.0
UNIXPC" (circa January 1988) which can be had for free (2 floppies) by calling
the AT&T Hotline.  The fix is also incorporated in the latest kernel, 3.51m,
also available free from the Hotline (as FIX DISK VER 2.0, circa January 1990).

As far as getty waiting "silently," Ron should get the HDB uucp package for
the 3B1 available at MANY archive sites (as posted to the unix-pc.* newsgroups
on a regular basis), and use uugetty.  He'd still need the 3.51a (or 3.51m)
kernel fix for its tty000 driver concerning the BREAK problem on tty000.

There are ALSO many public domain and/or freely-redistributable "uugetty"
clones available with source at the usual archives sites.

Following is a typical ftp "dir" listing of the 3B1 HDB package as found
at sites such as osu-cis, max.physics.sunysb.edu, etc.  The uncompressed
"*+IN" files are directly installable using the "Install Software Sent By
Electronic Mail" menu selection of the "Software Setup" menu in the "Office
of install" if one uses the UA (User Agent (aka FACE)) on the 3B1; the files
are simply cpio archives and can be easily installed manually if you don't
use all the windowing and menu stuff:

	-r--r--r--   1 nuucp     209419 Apr 24 10:33 HDB3.5+IN.Z
	-r--r--r--   1 nuucp      66743 Apr 24 10:33 HDBADMIN+IN.Z
	-r--r--r--   1 nuucp      21213 Apr 24 10:33 HDBPRINT+IN.Z
	-r--r--r--   1 nuucp      58063 Apr 24 10:33 HONEYDOCS+IN.Z

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]