sdb bug in older version of UNIX...

Paul S. Sawyer paul at unhtel.uucp
Mon May 28 22:07:23 AEST 1990

In article <395 at gagme.chi.il.us> greg at gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>I am using a 3B15 running System V 2.1.1 for a class project
>and am having trouble with sdb on that machine.
>
>I can't seem to get sdb to show me the contents of an array.
>Whenever I try just the array name, array[number,number] or
>array[*], it only shows me the first element!  Is there
>any other syntax not documented in the man page or a quick
>fix for that problem?

>From the "Release Notes" for 3B15 Unix System V, Rel. 2.1.2, Copyright 1987 by
AT&T:

  "The sdb command is not capable of examining the global variables in a
  core file.  Requesting sdb to print globals results in inaccurate values
  being displayed.  If the program is rerun while in sdb (with "r" directive),
  the values will correctly be displayed for global variables."

Unless this applies to your situation, I don't see anything else "documented."
I've shied away from the use of sdb myself....

>                       I know, that machine should be either
>scrapped or upgraded, but it will be upgraded to 3.2 in
>a couple months!!!

Some of us will have to use such a machine/OS for a long, long time yet... But
since some people ARE scrapping it, I just got a box full of "spare parts"
at a good deal!

>help!

Wish I could!  Good luck.
--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul at unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer at UNHH.BITNET