comp.sys.3b1?

Floyd Davidson floyd at hayes.ims.alaska.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:05:17 AEST 1990

In article <35841 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>| The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
>| case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
>| sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
>| other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
>| vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

There is one more reason for doing this that I've not seen mentioned yet.
We have a old discontinued computer here, and over the next few years it
is going to fade away completely.  Sad but true.  If it is sometimes
hard to get a mainline connection to these groups now, how hard is it
going to be in 3-4 years?  And it is going to get more difficult to
make it part of comp.sys too as time goes on.

It may be a case of do it now or it will never be possible.  And five
years from now those who still have a desire/need for this group will
be able to get it almost anywhere.  If it remains an alt group it'll
gradually become very difficult (read that as expensive) for those on
the fringe to get access.

Floyd

Floyd L. Davidson   floyd at hayes.ims.alaska.edu    floydd at chinet.chi.il.us
Salcha, AK 99714    connected by paycheck to Alascom, Inc.
When *I* speak for them, one of us will be *out* of business in a hurry.