3B2/300 [NVRAM SANITY FAILURE]

Paolo Ventafridda venta at otello.sublink.org
Tue Nov 13 21:49:33 AEST 1990

In article <36122 at nigel.ee.udel.edu>, rohn at cis.udel.edu (David C. Rohn) writes:
> I have recently gotten hold of a 3B2/300 running system V. Upon trying to
> boot the machine I get the following:
>
> 	FW ERROR 1-01:	NVRAM SANITY FAILURE
> 			DEFAULT VALUES ASSUMED
> 			IF REPEATED, CHECK THE BATTERY
>
> 	FW ERROR 1-02:	DISK SANITY FAILURE

I had the same kind of panic 5 months ago.
I changed the battery, but no results.
It was a problem of the tape SCSI device. Once i changed it,
everything came back to normality.

As i couldn't guess that, i had tried to enter in magic mode,
and reinstall the root fs from tape (booting from floppy).
How silly... if i had just changed the tape, i wouldn't have
lost a single byte.

In your case, though, there's a DISK SANITY FAILURE which i
don't really remind to have seen on my monitor during those
long hours spent trying to reboot. Could (could) be the SCSI
interface, or really the disk itself.

My experience is based on a 3b2-600, not on a 3b2-300, but
i think that may be this makes no big difference (?).

Please let me know about this problem, could be usefull next
time i get a system crash ;-(

Greets, Paolo
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta at otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012