comp.sys.3b1? (was Re: Monthly posting about Unix-PC networ

Bob Manson manson at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 13 02:49:17 AEST 1990

In article <35841 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I

I don't have any arguments for or against moving the groups to
something under comp.sys, but I do want to strongly suggest NOT using
the name "unix-pc" in the group. comp.sys.3b1 sounds much better, and
won't confuse neophytes into posting questions about running Unix on
an IBM-PC thingy.

I would also encourage giving some thought into renaming the hierarchy
to something besides unix-pc.*, if the consensus turns out to be to
keep the current arrangement. Not that it's a big deal seeing an
occasional post about "can I boot both DOS and Unix on my 286 box",
but it is annoying and could be avoided. (Admittedly, I really
wouldn't have thought that someone would confuse "unix-pc" to mean
Unix running on IBM-PCs, but now that we know...)
						Bob
manson at cis.ohio-state.edu