Fate of unix-pc.* (was Re: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.3b1)

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 05:59:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov22.041358.28114 at dms3b1.uucp>, dave at dms3b1.uucp (Dave Hanna) writes:

> This [getting a small subset of newsgroups] should be a non-issue.
> Getting a small subset of groups is easy
> if the news administrator at your feed knows _anything_ about it.  He
> just edits the "sys" file entry for your site and lists (explicitly)
> the groups you want, or alternatively, lists broad classes of groups
> (e.g., comp, rec, soc, etc.) . . . .

Well, several of the facilities I've worked at had people in
charge of news who didn't know much about it, and who didn't
have time to become an expert.  I found some dopey things in
my sys file yesterday, if I hadn't had time, I wouldn't have
looked.

I expect there to be some changeover pains (it sounds like we are
really going to do this conversion to me), but there may be some
big gains in quality distribution.

But maybe not as much as we'd think; see the followup to my call for
distribution testing.
	-Kris