Is there a 3B1 StarLAN and tape backup unit "clash"?

Dave Snyder dave at das13.snide.com
Tue Nov 6 13:47:03 AEST 1990

In article <35593 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
-> kim at mathcs.emory.edu (Kim Wallen {Psy}) in <6479 at emory.mathcs.emory.edu>
-> offers some 3B1 items for sale, and in the notice appears:
->
-> 	"... One 3B1 STARLAN card is modified so it doesn't clash with
-> 	tape backup unit, second one is not.
->
-> Interesting.  I've been using tape backup and StarLAN and haven't experienced
-> any problems.  Is the modification required for only certain ``REV.'' levels,
-> or is there something insidious that will jump out and bite some day?
->
-> What is the actual modification?  It's my recollection that nothing of this
-> nature has been discussed in this newsgroup during the past several years.
->
Wow!  I haven't heard about this for 4 years now.  While working at an AT&T
Var, I remember hearing the head technician mumble something about this
same thing.  If I remember correctly, don't bite my head off if I'm wrong, the
machine would have problems if the "tape backup" card wasn't in slot 1 and
the StarLAN card wasn't in slot 2.  Any ideas anyone?

DAS
--
David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave at das13.snide.com