A few comments on supposedly 'ancient' AT&Tware

Wes Morgan morgan at ms.uky.edu
Tue Nov 20 01:22:14 AEST 1990

In article <wwgss3w163w at ehpcb.WLK.COM> ehopper at ehpcb.WLK.COM (Ed Hopper) writes:

>3B2/300/310/400 - WE 32x00. Introductory small AT&T Mini. Rarely sold anymore
>    but still orderable (I think).

As far as I know, one cannot order these *systems* from AT&T.  Parts, however,
are available via AT&T's Parts Center, 1-800-222-PART.  This number will also
get you a copy of their parts catalog <for the entire AT&T line> and addition
to the mailing list for updates.

We run several 3b2/310s as 'niche' machines.  One is our electronic mail hub,
another is my desktop "development machine", and we're currently attempting
to hook several of them into our STARLAN as remote printer servers.  Since
they run stock SVR3, they're compatible with almost any System V box.

>3B2/600 - Discontinued. 18Mhz

Again, a great niche machine.  Makes a fine DOS server for STARLAN.

>3B20 - Few commercial sites. Primarily AT&T and RBOC internal use. Older
>       technology.  Was being built and used by AT&T prior to divstiture.

Ah, yes, the 3B20!  This machine was available in two configurations:
Simplex and Duplex <hence the acronyms 3B20S and 3B20D>.  It started
its life as the core of the AT&T ESS switch family, usually as a 3B20D.
Some bright soul realized the potential, threw tty support and the
full UNIX (it was already running a subset, I think) on board, and
presto!  A multi-user UNIX system.  We've been running a 3B20S for
about 8 years now, and the monster, while slow (.95 mips), is remarkably
bulletproof.  Its UPS consists of 4 large AC Delco vehicle batteries.
We recently had a major power problem when the main campus step-down
transformer blew.  Almost every computer system on campus was unavail-
able for about a day and a half.  All, that is, except for the "ancient",
"archaic", and "obsolete" 3B20S; it barely blinked as it switched to
batteries.  I like a hardy machine!

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan at engr.uky.edu         |