The monthly posting poster speaks (and changing unix-pc.* hier.)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Mon Nov 19 15:25:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov12.012705.15917 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
(Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
|>I remember the last time this came around in a big way, two and a half years
|>ago.  Kathy Vincent was still active, and I was a big-mouthed newbie system
[...]
|>There are advantages to the status quo.  Unix-pc.* is a fairly tightly
|>focused network, with the exception of the periodic postings of 'how do I get
|>Unix for my PC?'.  Because of the non-Usenet nature of unix-pc.*, people are
|>sometimes a little friendlier, a touch more easy-going about making links.
[...]
|>Many sites will set up a low-volume link for unix-pc.* that would not have
|>made the connection for either mail or a full newsfeed, in my experience.
[...]
I agree with Scott's point here, and there are definite advantages to leaving
unix-pc.* as is.  I may take the unfavorite approach, but I think we should
keep things as is.  If there is a big wave to remove unix-pc.* and rename
to the comp.* hierarchy, then of course I'll go along ...

I have no problem giving anyone a unix-pc.* feed, as long as they call me.
With Scott offering his mail-feed, then unix-pc.* gets fairly well distributed.
Most major sites carry it, along with the many other alternative hierarchies.

|>Internet (no more NNTP), we would still go on.  Sites like Zorch and Ditka,
|>Galaxia and Hico2, Icus, Pacbell, Ames, and so on, are tied together because
|>*we* want to spend our time, and our phone dollars, sending unix-pc.* across
[...]
And I'm sure we'll continue to do so...

|>Unix-pc:  Let it be.

I agree.

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| ...!{ames,cs.utexas.edu,pacbell}!icus!lenny           attmail!icus!lenny  |