Hard disk problems

Michael G. Beirne mikebe at i88.isc.com
Mon Nov 19 14:42:50 AEST 1990

Hello, I am having problems formatting a MiniScribe 6085 Hard drive.

With the enhanced diagnostics it does seem to format the drive,( it clicks
for each cylinder and the numbers count down from 1024) but
at the end it complains with the message:
Test	: Hard disk test( Drive 0 )
Subtest	: Format.
Error	: Winchester: Can't Write the new VHB:Response = 10
	Enter y [Y] to Abort, Return to continue:

If I just hit return it says that
VHB write failed. Disk need to be re-initialized.

The Disk tests complain about not being able to recalibrate the drive.

I have tried these with two different hard drives and used the MiniScribe
6085 in another system with no problems, so it does not seem to be the drive.

Should I just stretch my budget and buy someones dead/used system and try
to cobble something together?

Or does someone know from this description where I should look for bad
signals/chips?  I am good with a soldering iron and oscilloscope so this
is not too daunting a task.
mikebe at i88.isc.com or beirne at chinet.chi.il.us