sendmail and delivery problem

John Lees lees at briggs1.lbs.msu.edu
Wed Nov 14 01:16:46 AEST 1990

We have a mail delivery problem on our 3B2-500s running 3.1.1 and
sendmail 4.12 (9/7/83) from Wollongong. The problem is that all
mail from off-site is delivered as "From root". The following line
begins with ">From", and has the correct address of the sender. The
remainder of the message is just fine. Example:

  From root Mon Nov 12 17:47 EST 1990
  >From freemacs-request at sun.soe.clarkson.edu  Mon Nov 12 17:47:21 1990

The sendmail.cf uses this definition for the mailer:

Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=lsSMmh, S=10, R=10, A=mail $u

I thought the problem might be that there is no "-d" option to mail, as
I have seen on other systems, but adding this option results in no mail
bewing delivered at all. (BTW, freezing the sendmail.cf causes sendmail
to complain "out of memory" on its next invocation. Sheeesh.)

These machines were donated by AT&T, the software is no longer being
updated, et cetera. Thanks for any help!

- - - - M i c h i g a n   S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y - - - - O
 John Lees                    Instructor in Computer Science     OoO
 Graduate student             Lyman Briggs School                /O
 Department of Philosophy     College of Natural Science        |
 114 Justin Morrill Hall      E-190 Holmes Hall                (|) flower
 East Lansing, MI 48824-1036  East Lansing, MI 48825-1107 USA  _|_  power
    lees at briggs1.lbs.msu.edu, lees at msuegr.bitnet, ...!uunet!frith!lees