Network layout question

Denis Beauchemin beauchem at terre.DMI.USherb.CA
Thu Nov 15 08:52:26 AEST 1990

Hi there,

I am turning to you once again, great gurus with the absolute knowledge...
This time I need to know about a networking plan I could use to link together a
3B2 in one building, a 6386 in another building, and a last 6386 in a third
building.  We would like to distribute the applications across the 3B2 and one
6386, but access to them should be universal.

I don't think that an RFS link could be enough, since we need to execute
commands on remote machines (not just execute remote programs locally).

Fiber links are definitely out!  Leased lines are OK (in fact, all the sites
with 6386s already have at least one leased line connected to the 3B2).  One of
the 6386 will have to be converted into a StarGROUP/LAN Manager server
(servicing 5 PCs).

The needs are primarily for accessing the applications scattered across the
machines.  How would you do it?  Using TCP/IP and SLIP would solve it (I
think), but I don't know anything about AT&T's implementation and features.

Besides, I would prefer an OSI approach if available.

Thanks for all,

PS: No machine is currently networked.  All 3 machines are running UNIX SVR3.

=== Denis Beauchemin,  === beauchem at DMI.USherb.CA ===
=== Sisca Informatique === I speak for myself...  ===