No Passwd for nuucp

0257014-Robert White140 rwhite at nusdecs.uucp
Thu Nov 8 09:31:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov4.213500.13805 at jpradley.uucp> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>On my machine, uucp, uucpmgr, Umurphy, Uhombre, Utrigere, and many others all
>have the same uid/gid.
>Is this bad?
>Is the scheme for nuucp to give it a different uid/gid?

If you wan to do much of the stuff with the permissions file,
especially reguarding VALIDATE, you will want to have a
different uid number for each group of machines.

I use uucp:5:5; nuucp:10:10 (<=defaults) and x:11:10; y:12:10 etc...

I find that different user IDs and the same group ID to be most
convinent.  Especially when I get around to RFS stuff (later)

Robert White           |   Not some church, and not the state,
Network Administrator  |      Not some dark capricious fate.
National University    |   Who you are, and when you lose,
crash!nusdecs!rwhite   |      Comes only from the things you chose.
(619) 563-7140 (voice) |                             -- me.