No Passwd for nuucp

John Macdonald jmm at eci386.uucp
Fri Nov 9 01:41:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov4.213500.13805 at jpradley.uucp> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

|On my machine, uucp, uucpmgr, Umurphy, Uhombre, Utrigere, and many others all
|have the same uid/gid.
|Is this bad?
|Is the scheme for nuucp to give it a different uid/gid?

You should have a different uid for uucp - it ought to be used for
administration activities and not for uucico to other systems.  (Except
that you have uucpmgr, which seems to be taking its place, so I guess
that on your system the uucp account serves the purpose more commonly
provided by a nuucp account - undifferentiated uucico.)

Whether you need a separate uid for the nuucp acount (uucp in your case)
and the various Usystem accounts is a function of your flavour of Unix
and uucp.  I have seen some setups where they must be the same (or else
permissions would get in the way) and others where the uids must be
different (or else the uucp software would think that the login name
was whichever of them came first in /etc/passwd) and the gids would
have to be the same.  Since you (presumably) have not been getting
complaints from uucp failing to distinguish the login names correctly,
there is no need to change anything there.
--
Cure the common code...                      | John Macdonald
...Ban Basic      - Christine Linge          |   jmm at eci386