help with at&t models

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.uucp
Sat Nov 17 05:59:49 AEST 1990

In article <11246 at milton.u.washington.edu>, mward at blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Ward) writes:
|> I'm completely  messed up. Someone please clear me up on this, and explain
|> the differences(if there are any) between the 7300 and the 3b1, and the
|> 3b2.

The 6300 is AT&T's PC clone.  It and newer versions all use
the INTEL 8086 family (ie. 8086, 80286, 80386).
The original was a DOS machine, the newer ones are able to run Unix.

The 7300, UnixPX, and 3b1 are different names for the same machine.
The 7300 was sold with less memory and a smaller disk.
They all use the Motorola 68010 processor,
and run Unix SYS5.2, (ok a slight variant).
The 3b1 (7300) was discontinued before there a second machine was introduced.
It is now an orphan, but one with a captive following.
I have one, it's a great machine.
The unix-pc.* newgroups are devoted to the 3b1.

The 3b2 is an AT&T exclusive.  The different members of the 3b2 line use
AT&T's own WE32000 family of processors, the WE32000, WE32100, and WE32200.
They run SYS5.3 or SYS5.4.

All three are completely different machines.  They are not compatible
with each other in any way.
--
Tom Tkacik				...uunet!edsews!rphroy!tkacik
GM Research Labs			tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org
"I'm president of the United States, and I'm not going to eat anymore broccoli."
						--- George Bush