Redraw problem with USG 3.x curses

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Nov 2 02:07:32 AEST 1990

We recently had a need to rebuild the binary for a curses based program
(sc as it happens), and found that the recompiled version performed a
lot worse than the old one. Specifically scrolling degenerated to full
screen updates that were slow even at 9600 baud. This is with the
generic vt100 terminfo entry.

A little investigation showed that the behavior was completely
determined by which libcurses.a we linked against. We got the slow
scroll with the 2.1, 3.1, and 3.2 versions of the library, but fast
scroll with 3.0. The "versions" I'm describing are the System V release
the library came with, not the internal library version (so 3.2 means
System V R 3.2).

Anyone know anything about this? The tests were done on a system (3B2)
where we had all the releases mentioned, but we need to move the
program to a system that only has 3.2.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP