Redraw problem with USG 3.x curses

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 28 20:44:56 AEST 1990

kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) in <378 at hico2.UUCP> writes:

	I've seen further discussion on this topic since the original
	article was posted, and I'm not sure the original point was addressed.
	It sounds like the difference is entirely what version of the library
	was in the link, and why the versions of the library after
	v. 3.0 are slow.  Did anybody answer this question directly?

Bits and pieces of cross-postings were appearing in various newsgroups without
regard to the original post by Ken Mandelberg; I found parts in comp.sys.att,
unix-pc.general, comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.programmer.

But, yes, the original question was answered succinctly:

	As other posters noted the issue turns out to be "idlok". While Curses
	3.+ doesn't redraw characters that are common, it won't take advantage
	of a hardware scroll unless it's allowed to use insert line.

	With idlok(stdscr, TRUE) added sc works fine even at low speed.

I guess when I first read the curses docs, my eyes "read" ``idlok'' to mean
"idle OK" (you figure) instead of the correct "insert/delete line OK".

Perhaps the new Usenet-admonishment should be:  (RTFM)^2

And a whack alongside the head by a dis-interested 3rd party wouldn't hurt,
either; sometimes it's too easy to get in a rut and NOT open one's eyes.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]