CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.3b1

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Tue Nov 20 13:40:17 AEST 1990

I think one of the things that this discussion has made clear to me is that
sites that thought they were well connected in terms of unix-pc.* are in
fact not well connected.  I have eight separate news feeds sending me the
unix-pc.* groups (and conversely, sending my stuff back out) and yet I have
seen several replies that I never saw the base article to.  Also, I posted
a message saying that I was taking an informal survey which would be followed
by a formal call for discussion if the survey seemed to warrant it and yet
two separate people have posted similar messages (one survey and this CFD).
I know that my message made it out because I got almost two dozen replies
within a few days, almost all in favor of the proposed new group.

Anyway, here is my input to the discussion, tempered by the many responses
I got to my informal survey.  I think we should create two newsgroups.
First, comp.sys.3b1 (unmoderated) for discussions of all aspects of the
3b1/7300 machine.  This would include the contents of the current unix-pc.*
groups with the exception of unix-pc.sources.  Second, comp.sources.3b1
(moderated) for postings of source programs specific to the 3b1 and for
patches to those programs.  The reason for a separate group is to make it
easier for sites that would want to archive the sources.  The reason for
the moderated status is to ensure that the group is suitable for archiving.
I am willing to volunteer as the moderator and am willing to provide as
much or as little moderation as people want (i.e. is it a source = post it
as opposed to unpack everything and test it).  If someone objects to having
me as moderator or wants to volunteer as co-moderator then that is fine by
me.

Oh yeah, once the new groups are created (assuming that they are), the
old unix-pc.* groups should be disbanded.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com
Be excellent to each other.