comp.sys.3b1? (was Re: Monthly posting about Unix-PC networ

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Nov 15 23:50:46 AEST 1990

sparkie at khan.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) in
<1990Nov15.053246.10492 at daffy.cs.wisc.edu> writes re: my "en passant" comment
concerning forming a  comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy:

	It's also very ANNOYING when some [one] who doesn't have a hint as to
	what an AT&T Unix PC is posts some dumb question about running Xenix
	on his '386 box.  I would suggest that we call the hierarchy
	comp.sys.3b1.* to avoid the confusion.

	I just want to remind whomever might organize this venture, to have
	that be addressed in the call for discussion, and subsequent call for
	votes.

My original comment was intended solely to identify the "nature" of the group,
not its name.

Either *.3b1.* or *.7300.* or even *.pc7300.* would be reasonable alternatives.
Beginning with a digit means the group also appears at the head of the list!

Personally, I wish there was nomenclature consistency regarding the UNIXPC.
The term "UNIXPC" is a blanket for both the 7300 and the 3B1.  Consider that
when one browses an archive site, the strings "3b1", "3B1", "7300", "unixpc",
"unix-pc", "UnixPC", "Unix-PC", "UnixPc", "Unix-Pc", "UNIXPC" and "UNIX-PC"
need be sought as possible repositories of goodies for "our" system  (yep, I've
seen all these combinations).  Even at osu-cis the UNIXPC archives are
cataloged under "pub/att7300/".

And the confusion re: "UNIXPC" and "PC UNIX" is real.  Our user group has
insertions in COMPUTER SHOPPER, Microtimes, Computer Currents, San Jose
Mercury News, and elsewhere, and about half the calls I receive I refer to Dan
Kionka's "PC UNIX" group which also meets at the same address (AT&T Building)
but caters primarily to people with PC or PC-clones running Xenix, Minix, and
other UNIX-like kernels.  Dan and I joke about this, and it's not a real
problem as many people eventually attend both meetings and also the SVnet UNIX
group (which ALSO meets at the AT&T building) simply due to the varied topics
at each different groups' meetings.

Simply because it's faster to type, I'd prefer "3b1" as the hierarchy root.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]