comp.sys.3b1??

Mark H. Weber mhw at lock60.UUCP
Sat Nov 17 14:35:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov12.160511.25395 at daffy.cs.wisc.edu> harier!sparkie at cs.wisc.edu writes:
>In article <603 at nih-csl.nih.gov> crtb at helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) writes:

>>I vote for comp.sys.unix-pc, or perhaps comp.sys.3b1 (shorter).

>Currently in the unix-pc.* groups there is a lot of confusion with PC users
>running things like Xenix.  They think the group is a general discussion group
>for PC unices.  The name "comp.sys.3b1" would help eliminate that confusion.
>I would recommend that we do something like the current unix-pc.* groups:
>	comp.sys.3b1.general
>	comp.sys.3b1.sources
>	comp.sys.3b1.uucp
>It seems to me that these are reasonable groups to have, although the latter
>two do not seem to get that much usage.  Perhaps just comp.sys.3b1 would be
>adequate.

I visit news.groups occasionally, and have a copy of the current mainstream
newsgroup creation guidelines. I would be willing to shepherd the group(s)
through the tortuous path of newsgroup creation. I have a well-connected
site, and would be willing to collect the votes.

Before I do this, I want to make sure that we are pretty much in agreement
about what we want to do. It seems that there are a lot of people in favor
of this, but there are a number of people who have not been heard from.
What I would like to do is hold a "straw poll", an initial vote to see if
there is a enough support to pass a mainstream group. The list of groups
above looks reasonable. Just send me a simple "yes" or "no" message,
preferable in the subject header - I'll count them by hand. I'll run this
poll for the next two weeks, until the end of November.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw at Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning