Explanation of Diagnostic Lights on 3b2/400

Stephen Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Tue Nov 20 02:37:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov17.040047.21053 at ox.com>, jih at ox.com (John Hritz) writes:

> 	I have a 3b2/400 that has crashed.  Upon cold start, the power comes
> 	up and the diagnostic light blinks 5 times, pauses briefly and then
> 	repeats.  The system never checks the floppy, so it is not possible
> 	to use the boot disk.  Any info on what this diagnostic light
> 	sequence means would be helpful.

The diagnostic light will flash depending on the low-level error:

	amber light	   description
	-----------	------------------
	1 flash		unknown problem
	2 flashes	problem with CPU
	3 flashes	problem with ROM
	4 flashes	problem with RAM
	5 flashes	problem with DUART

The DUART is the dual serial chip running console and contty, and
it probably means that you have a bad cable or terminal.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"Gcc compiles an interesting language which is not ANSI C." - Henry Spencer