No Passwd for nuucp

Kenneth Herron kherron at ms.uky.edu
Fri Oct 26 14:09:10 AEST 1990

woods at eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>In article <1990Oct22.211639.14436 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>> How can I convince UNIX that nuucp doesn't need a password?

>Login as root, make sure no-one else is using the system (at least
>make sure they don't run passwd, or chsh, etc.), and edit /etc/passwd.
>Add a new line for nuucp, with a home directory of /usr/spool/uucppublic
>[...]

Please, this isn't necessary.  Look up passmgmt(1) and passwd(1M).
Together they give you all the control you can want over passwd and shadow,
with no worries about what other users are doing.

Passwd has an option just for your needs, -d as I recall.  It sets the
given ID to be without a password.  Passwd has two man pages, be sure
you look at passwd(1M), the second one.

Now for a "style" issue:  around here we give the uucp logins a home
directory of /usr/lib/uucp.  Where ever you put it, create a file
there called .hushlogin.  This prevents the usual signon messages
from printing after the login succeeds.  (If you put .hushlogin in
/usr/spool/uucppublic, it'll get cleaned out eventually).

Kenneth Herron