power-fail monitor ??

r hardin rhh at alice.att.com
Wed Oct 10 03:25:02 AEST 1990

In article <34655 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

> For YOUR safety, do not EVER unplug devices such as a UPS or SPS from a wall
> socket to test them: you lose the protective grounding of the 3rd prong.

I don't see why, offhand. There's no return path through ground either.

My TrippLite bc450b comes with a booklet that says:

``To test unit and simulate a blackout, pull the battery backup unit's
plug from the live outlet. The GREEN line power light should go
off while the RED battery light should turn on along with the
autible alarm. The intermittent alarm can be silenced by pushing
the audible alarm switch on the front of the battery backup. When
AC power returns alarm will reset automatically.''

It does mention that you should NEVER (their caps) plug it into itself :-)
or it self-destructs.