printeer problems

Paul Herzog ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
Thu Oct 11 01:55:51 AEST 1990

In article <155 at ureka.UUCP> mikie at ureka.UUCP (mike shea) writes:

> I'm having a bit of new trouble with printing.
> I have an Apex L-1000 printer, an epson LQ clone...
> When I print anything longer than 1 page it prints
> a page, skips a whole page, prints a page skips a page
> etc. etc...
> I got around this at one time useing >> pr file | lp
> that worked good, But for some reason it doesn't fill
> the bill now.

Since you don't specify how you are formatting your print files
(ie, nroff, flat file, word processor, etc) this is tough to diagnose.
You give one possible clue when you say that pr used to work.
The pr command, without the -f option, puts out exactly 66 lines per
page by default (that's 66 newlines).

Possibly your formatted files have 66 lines on the page and then
a trailing form-feed (^f) character which causes the printer to
skip a page since it is already at the bottom after printing 66 lines.

It is possible that settings on the printer itself cause the skip.
Maybe the printer thinks a page is less than 66 lines long and issues
its own skip to top of form (but then that would contradict your use
of the pr command).

The form feed character will probably prove to be the culprit.

--
Paul Herzog			VOICE   : 314-235-8025
One Bell Center RM 30F7		UUCP    : uunet!swbatl!swpyr2!ampah
Southwestern Bell		INTERNET: ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
St. Louis, MO 63050