Screen Power-down switch (Was Re: 3B1 Electric bill!)

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Tue Oct 9 00:38:36 AEST 1990

[ comments about installing a monitor power switch in a 3B1 deleted ]

> ... .  I *KNOW* I could save at least
> $10.00 monthly on my electric bill and probably *DOUBLE* the life
> expectancy of my monitor in the process.

Maybe not, sometimes the bigger threat is the temperature and other
transitions that occur on powerup/powerdown.  I recall talking to
Teletype engineers about turning off terminals versus just using
the screen-saver.  Their testing said if you were going to cycle
once a day, constant power was a big win.

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon