No Passwd for nuucp

Alex Martelli alex at am.sublink.org
Sat Oct 27 07:31:28 AEST 1990

In <1990Oct22.211639.14436 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I'd like to have nuucp with no passwd for anonymous uucp possibilities
>but my SV/386 R3.2.2 insists on asking nuucp to choose a password!  How
>can I convince UNIX that nuucp doesn't need a password?

As root, run "passwd -d -x 7000 -n 7000 nuucp" and you should be ok for
20 years or so.  A simpler call SHOULD work, according to the man entry,
but in practice, on some machines, and depending on /etc/defaultish
stuff, simpler invocations appear to fail (sometimes in DANGEROUS ways,
such as unexpectedly expiring nuucp's password and asking nuucp to
change it on next login, which does wonders for your uucp connectivity:-).
This one has worked for me every time I have needed this functionality.

--

Alex Martelli - (home snailmail:) v. Barontini 27, 40138 Bologna, ITALIA
Email: (work:) staff at cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex at am.sublink.org
Phone: (work:) ++39 (51) 371099, (home:) ++39 (51) 250434;