No Passwd for nuucp

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Mon Oct 29 04:11:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct27.203150.13610 at jpradley.uucp> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
> In article <1990Oct22.211639.14436 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> >I'd like to have nuucp with no passwd for anonymous uucp possibilities
> >but my SV/386 R3.2.2 insists on asking nuucp to choose a password!  How
> >can I convince UNIX that nuucp doesn't need a password?
>
> I assume that the "insisting" comes from a mkuser or addusr or similar program?

Actually, it appears AT&T SysVr3.2.2/386 has a xenix-like login, which
has an option of insisting on a password.  It also appears they went do
default shadow passords.  I hope the shadow password facility can be
undone just as it can be in SysVr3.2/3b2

> BTW, what's the point of 'nuucp' as a public, unpassworded access instead of
> just plain 'uucp'?

By default, traditionally that is, "uucp" is an administrative
account, and "nuucp" is a uucico, often without a password.  Some
vendors have given uucp a shell of uucico, eliminating the
administrative account.  I strongly recommend against this practice
because of security reasons.  The UUCP owner and administrator should
be a seperate user-id and group-id from any uucico logins.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA