Problem using STREAMS communication channel

Shariq Qureshi saq at comtst.domain.com
Thu Oct 4 05:16:50 AEST 1990

I am trying to implement a full duplex communication channel between a
server and its unrelated client processes using STREAMS, running on
AT&T 3B2/600 under SVR3.1. The application requires an interactive
server which could accept service request from multiple client
processes and upon completion of service could respond to the client.
Note that the stream usage is required to use the poll() call for
multichannel I/O. We don't have sockets or select on this machine.

I understand that this could be done either by TLI or available IPCs,
but the implementation restrict me to only use srteam connection, and
the only stream based driver available to me is Loop Around Clone
Driver as shown in the Network Programmer's Manual. We have contacted
AT&T for the information required to implement a TLI compatible
loopback driver, but the essentially told us "read the source, there
is no manual that describes what you want to do". Unfortunately we
don't have the source :-( and we're kind of stuck. The loopback driver
we have is only usable for communicating between a parent and it's
child -- not between two peer processes that are created
independently.

We are looking for:
 1) source for a TLI compliant loopback driver that will run under V.3.1
    (we're excited about V.4, but V.3 is our current enviroment.  The V.4
    loopback driver wouldn't run under V.3)
 -OR-
 2) suggestions on how to make the Loop Around Clone Driver work between
    two unrelated processes.
 -OR-
 3) any other information on addressing peer to peer communications using
    streams.

Please respond by e-mail, I will summarize if there is interest.

Thanks for your assistance.

Shariq
--
Shariq Qureshi          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!saq     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542