Questions about StarGROUP Software

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Wed Oct 17 23:59:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.

That's an old release, the current release is 3.3 which is Lan Manager/X
(Lan Manager/Unix). Besides offering a "standard (-:" (Lan Managers is
Lan Managers) there is better performance, security etc compared to 3.2.

LM/X also offers NDIS as a driver interface (ie: supports other ethernet
cards).

AT&T is about to release 3.4, which is the System V R4 port of LM/X. Other
features are additional LM transports besides ISO (Netbeui and TCP-IP). It
also supports the AppleTalk Protocols and Netware as "addon" packs (ie; acts
as a Lan Manager, Appletalk and Netware server simultanously). Administration
for all three is through a single interface. A snmp agent and mib are also
available (proxy).

>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

You need the StarGroup 3.2 DOS server to get this function. It isn't
available under Lan Manager/X.

>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
>client for a StarGROUP server?

AT&T uses Simultask to support a Unix client under StarGroup and LM/X.
You only need Simultask if you are running a PC under Unix and want to
provide SG-LM/X services to it. Simultask is not needed (nor available)
for DOS clients (workstations).

>3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
>I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
>However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
>"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
>messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
>application write its temp files somewhere else?

This dosn't occure withe Lan Manager/X (StarGroup 3.3 or higher).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden