Questions about StarGROUP Software

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Wed Oct 17 03:37:45 AEST 1990

I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
have run into a couple of small things.

1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
how to do this.

2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
client for a StarGROUP server?

3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
application write its temp files somewhere else?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math