HDB uucp with unix-pc and sun

Undergrad Projects Lab upl at gumby.cs.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 26 07:31:12 AEST 1990

In article <656603007 at macbeth.cs.duke.edu> pusateri at duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:

[ ... ]

>Basically, I have a ATT 3b1 3.51m running HDB uucp from THE STORE
>connected to a SUN workstation SUNOS 4.1 running HDB uucp. I can
>send files from the unix-pc to the sun without any problem but I can
>never send files from the sun to the unix-pc. It doesn't matter who
>initiates the connection, if the file is going from the unix-pc to
>the sun it works.
>
>However, if it is going from the sun to the unix-pc, I always get errors.
>The error in the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/error looks like this
>ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 316 (10/17-11:39:48) PKXSTART ret  (0)
>[FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 331]

Oh, my goodness, does this look familiar.  I have yet to figure out what
exactly is happening.  Here are some facts, though.  I have a unixpc
running HDB retrieved from the store.  I have 3 sites with which I
regularly communicate via uucp.  Only one of these three ever exhibits
this problem.  It is a site running 286 SCO Xenix. (One of the other sites
is also a unixpc and the third is a 386 running ESIX - Everett's unix)
My problem seems less deterministic than yours, though.  This thing
only happens when transferring really big files (>100k) It seems like the
other site just decides to stop transmitting.  Watching my modem lights confirms
that.  The other side just stops.  Since this thing only happens intermittantly,
I just attributed it to the other guy's uucp, and left it be.  However, now it
seems that it may very well be a bug with our implementation of HDB.

If anyone has any tips on how to avoid this, please include me as a recipient
of that info.

As always, thanks,
- sparkie
P.S.	PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not reply to the account from which this has
	been posted.  Instead, reply to:
		harier!sparkie at cs.wisc.edu
	Thanks.