Unix PC crashing

Raymond C. Schafer schafer at peyote.cactus.org
Sat Oct 13 08:16:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct12.035049.382 at texrex.UUCP>, rmfowler at texrex.UUCP (Rex Fowler) writes:

| My unix pc is crashing extremely often, always with the same
| panic message similar to:
|
| 	*hpte: 0xnnnn
| 	panic: NM1 (kernel parity error)
| 	double panic:
|
| When I say "extremely often" I mean - I boot the machine and it usually
| crashes within 2 hours!

That was happening to me, and after replacing the motherboard, it turned
out to be the power supply!  Can you believe it??   Took a long time
to figure out, as the power supply seemed to be O.K.  Carefull measurements
of the voltages proved it to be defective and replacement cured the
problem.
Ray Schafer				schafer at peyote.cactus.org
Austin, Texas				..cs.utexas.edu!peyote!micrtk!micro