No Passwd for nuucp

Bob Daniel rad at genco.bungi.com
Tue Oct 30 04:34:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct25.155651.16447 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>In article <1990Oct22.211639.14436 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>> I'd like to have nuucp with no passwd for anonymous uucp possibilities
>> but my SV/386 R3.2.2 insists on asking nuucp to choose a password!  How
>> can I convince UNIX that nuucp doesn't need a password?
>
>Don't use sysadm (or face) to install new users, especially system type
>accounts.  Actually that's a little one-sided, but I never trust these
>fancy system admin. type things!  :-)

You could use face to setup 'nuucp' and then edit '/etc/default/login' and
enter 'PASSREQ=NO'.  However, this would would apply to all logins.

Also, in '/etc/shadow', the last two entries usually defaul to ':14:28'
which mean you can't change the passwd within 14 days and must be changed
after 28 days.  Just remove those two number and password ageing will
be disabled for that login.  If you want to turn off passwd ageing for
everyone, it can also be done in '/etc/default/login'.  I don't remember
the entry to make but it's in the SysAdm manual.