3B1 Electric bill!

Brian Rice bri at tsnews.Convergent.COM
Wed Oct 3 13:26:09 AEST 1990

A follow-up to my previous comment:  Some people have posted or replied to
me directly regarding the plate on the back of the 3b1 describing its
power consumption.  One math genius from my favorite unix college even
sent the equation that resulted in exactly $20.00 per month increase
at x multiplied by y devided by c... or somthing like that!!!:)
The purpose of this follow-up is to direct your attention to the posting
that described how the maximum power consumption is attained when the
machine is at its busiest... disk seeking, fans taking off like jets, etc.
So maybe the machine in question IS having a specific problem.

1)	Is it powered by an abnormally expensive power company?

2)	Are there run-away processes, causing constant disk seeks?

3)	Is the room too hot, causing the high-speed fan to kick in?

4)	Is a floppy file system being left in a mounted condition?

Ok, the last one is reaching, but you get the idea.  I think it would be
good to put some test equipment on it if the problem is not one of the
more obvious as outlined above.  The fact is I am running 2 190MB Maxtors,
An expansion cabinet, two modems and an ATT477 printer and my electric
bill is approximately 17.50 higher than when these were disconnected (God
forbid I should have another one of THOSE months!:))
On the other hand, one could easily argue that a VAX would consume much more
power and provide you with a great deal less functionality, so....
quityerbitchen!!!
Brian Rice