Virtual terminals

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Tue Oct 30 10:20:39 AEST 1990

In <1990Oct27.191111.9448 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>1)  How do I change the prompt that appears in a virtual terminal?

>2)  How do I export my login environment (or modify the default one)
>when I start a new VT?

Hi Pete!

I'm not sure which UNIX you're running, but we run AT&T V.3.2.  We handle
virtual terminals by running a getty directly on /dev/console and /dev/vtxx.
AT&T seems to want me to run vtgetty.  vtgetty is most useful as fertilizer,
IMHO.  It makes all virtual terminals children of one session.  By running
a getty directly on the vtxx device, each virtual terminal acts as a
completely separate login.  Your login environment comes from .login or
.profile, etc., and you deal with the prompt just as you would from any
terminal.  You can set this up by editing /etc/inittab.
--
Jim Rosenberg             #include <disclaimer.h>      --cgh!amanue!oglvee!jr
Oglevee Computer Systems                                        /      /