Virtual terminals

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Oct 30 04:20:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct27.191111.9448 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>1)  How do I change the prompt that appears in a virtual terminal?

>2)  How do I export my login environment (or modify the default one)
>when I start a new VT?

If you just execute vtlmgr in your .profile, you will automatically get
a new shell with your login environment whenever you switch to a
new VT, with a prompt of "VT n> ", n being the number of the VT for
that session.  If you run ksh (and have ALTSHELL=YES in /etc/defaults/login)
you can probably do some tricks in the .kshrc if you want something
different at start-up.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us