Hayes modem auto-bauding

Marc Weinstein mhw at fithp.uucp
Fri Oct 12 13:48:21 AEST 1990

>From article <902 at gnosys.svle.ma.us>, by gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo):
> In <1990Oct3.134423.1515 at fithp.uucp> mhw at fithp.uucp (Marc Weinstein) writes:
>
> My impression is that the normal thing for the modem to do is to set its
> "interface" speed (the baud rate between the RS-232 port of the modem and
> that of the computer) to correspond to the speed at which the connection was
> made, *unless* the modem can be told (as the Telebit modem can, by setting

I have finally given up, and have set my uugetty to answer at 2400 baud,
which seems to be the "preferred" speed of the Hayes Smartmodem 2400.
I told all neighbor systems to send BREAKs if they must connect at 1200
baud.

> "How?" I can hear you saying...  Well, the trick is to replace uugetty,
> which is the beast that sits there waiting for the modem to do something,
> and forks a login when the right something happens.  I had the good for-

Does this imply that the default uugetty which comes with HoneyDanber
cannot do autobaud'ing?  If this is the case, then what difference does it
make what baud rate is specified to the uugetty?  Why would such a thing
even be specified?  It sounds like the far end is going to a) connect
to the modem (i.e. the modems will be speaking at the same rate), b) send
enough BREAKs to toggle to the speed which provides a recognizable "login:"
string, and then the two systems are talking.  So, it really made no
difference WHAT baud rate the uugetty was initially set to.

I'll try getting the new getty from sources, but it sounds like if this
works, what's the point?

Marc Weinstein