Hayes modem auto-bauding

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 06:27:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct12.034821.7146 at fithp.uucp>, mhw at fithp.uucp (Marc Weinstein) writes:
>From article <902 at gnosys.svle.ma.us>, by gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo):
>> In <1990Oct3.134423.1515 at fithp.uucp> mhw at fithp.uucp (Marc Weinstein) writes:
>>
>> My impression is that the normal thing for the modem to do is to set its
>> "interface" speed (the baud rate between the RS-232 port of the modem and
>> that of the computer) to correspond to the speed at which the connection was
>> made, *unless* the modem can be told (as the Telebit modem can, by setting
>
>I have finally given up, and have set my uugetty to answer at 2400 baud,
>which seems to be the "preferred" speed of the Hayes Smartmodem 2400.
>I told all neighbor systems to send BREAKs if they must connect at 1200
>baud.

Another possiblity: Specify a speed fo EXTB and make sure that the the
transmit and receive clock outs on the modem are connected to the clock ins
on the RS-232 port (just use a 25 pin straight through ribbon cable).

I've done this myself - it DOES work.

BTW: outgoing calls should be placed normally using one of the "internal"
speeds.

About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor that modern
                kitchen appliances would sneer at...."
                   - Dave Trowbridge, _Computer Technology Review_, Aug 90

                                     iwblsys\
rlw at ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/
    rel.mi.org is currently sick - back in 2 weeks.